If you want to ensure that your eyeglasses look great and provide you with a clear image, it’s an absolute must that you make sure that you keep them well cleaned.
However, you must understand the right way to do it, and avoid the multitude of wrong ways that can actually damage your eyeglass lenses!
Step By Step Process For Cleaning Your Glasses
If you follow these guidelines, you should be able to clean the lenses of your glasses, along with the frames, without causing any damage. You can use these same steps for your sunglasses, sporting eyewear, and safety goggles.
- Wash your hands. In order to clean your glasses, your hands must be free from grime, personal care products, dead skin cells or anything else that could negatively impact the cleaning process. Make sure that the soap you use doesn’t contain any lotions or moisturizers which might leave traces on your hands. After thorough rinsing, use a lint-free towel to completely dry your hands.
- Rinse glasses under running tap water. Set the faucet to room temperature with enough gentle pressure to remove dust and debris particles from your glasses to prevent scratches. Some lens coatings can be damaged by hot water, so always err on the side of caution.
- Put a tiny drop of dishwashing liquid on each lens. Choose a lotion-free product and stick with a minuscule amount of soap due to the high concentration. Alternatively, place a tiny drop onto your fingertip. Read the label to make sure your soap doesn’t contain any kind of moisturizer or lotion.
- Carefully rub on all parts of the glasses for several seconds. Make sure you get both sides of the lenses, including where they meet the frame. This juncture can collect dead skin cells, oils, dust and debris that must be regularly removed. Don’t forget about the nose pads and the ends of both arms.
- Now you need to rinse the entire piece with lukewarm water to remove all traces of the soap and debris. Even a tiny amount can cause smears.
- Lightly shake the water off of the glasses. Look at them to be sure that the lenses are completely clean.
- Using a clean, lint-free towel, you should absorb the remaining water. Never use a dirty dish towel or one with fabric softening products in the fibers. The towels used for fine glassware are a suitable choice. It must be impeccably clean to avoid scratched lenses from debris. Also, traces of oils and lotions can cause smudges and smears.
- Inspect the lenses. Hold the glasses up to the light where you can see through the lenses. Use a clean microfiber cloth to remove any streaks or smears that you can see. You can find these lint-free cloths at optical shops and in some displays for sunglasses or reading glasses.
Of course, you might not always have the time and supplies to go through that entire process. In that case, use the packaged lens cleaning wipes found in the same places mentioned above. These single-use cloths are pre-moistened and individually packaged for fast, easy use. Make sure that you are using ones designed for glasses, not baby wipes or any other type of moistened fiber wipe.
If you have any questions about how to clean your glasses or if you feel your glasses still don’t appear clear after you try to clean them, then please schedule a visit with our highly trained eye doctor here at Fusion Eye Care by calling (919) 977-7480. And if you’re looking for a great pair of eyeglasses in Raleigh NC, be sure to contact the optometrists here at Fusion Eye Care.